Lakeland is a bustling city in Central Florida that exudes charm. Whether your pleasure lies in shopping, sightseeing, or dining, you’d be in the heart of where tourist attractions and relaxing destinations meet.
Nestled between Florida’s major cities Orlando and Tampa, Lakeland also is home to an active adult community where retiring feels like you’re on a life-long vacation.
What makes this community a sought-after retirement destination?
Cypress Lakes® is a 55+ retirement community in Lakeland, Florida, where retirees have plenty of fun activities to enjoy and exciting places to explore. From the sandy shorelines of nearby gulf beaches to activities like golfing and boating, it is an excellent place to retire.
Choosing a community is more than just pinpointing a new home. There are crucial elements that could optimize your retirement, and that is what this article is about.
We handpicked essential factors that you should look into. You could then tie them back to your preferences, interests, and lifestyle options as you move forward.
Cypress Lakes® 55+ Community
Before we dig in on the factors about your retirement destination, let’s get to know this community in Florida.
Cypress Lakes® is among the high-end Florida Golf Retirement Communities in Lakeland.
This age-restricted community takes pride in its nearly a thousand private acres, where stunning yet affordable houses are up for grabs.
The community aims to give you a resort-living experience as you tee off on its two professional golf courses.
Imagine being surrounded by proud cypress trees with lush landscapes as backgrounds. The shimmering lakes surrounding the community are equally potent magnets, encouraging you to sit back and relax.
The Big Cypress Golf & Country Club puts this active adult community on the map. This multimillion-dollar 32k-square-foot clubhouse has two challenging courses that keep you on your toes, whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned golfer teeing off with a forged golf wedge set (view on Amazon) that has a milled face for more spin. Its South Course’s par-72 championship layout has been recognized by magazines like Senior Golfer, Florida Golfer, and the Golf Digest.
The other perks that make this community vibrant and buzzing throughout the day are the following:
- A lap pool and two heated spas
- Well-lit tennis, bocce, and shuffleboard courts
- Big Cypress Grill, restaurant, and tavern
- Billiard room
- Fully staffed pro shop with cart and golf club rentals
- Cozy library with computers
- State-of-the-art fitness center
- Spacious ballroom with a performing arts stage
- Craft and ceramics room
- Media room with a big-screen TV
Reliable services include:
- Emergency 24-hour monitoring
- High-speed internet and Wi-fi
- Kitchen for personal or community catering
- Even planning under an Activity Director
It even has storage areas for your boat or RV, and all rooms have Wi-fi and telephones.
Activities for Diverse Interests
Here are some of the fun and relaxing activities for residents:
- Golfing. Practice your swing at the community’s 36-hole PGA Championship Course. Complete with a driving range and a shop of certified professional instructors, get pro tips either by yourself or with your golf buddies.
- Swimming. Do some laps on the resort-style pool and spa with a sundeck, or take a relaxing dip in the hot tubs.
- Chatting. Spend the afternoon off with friends at the Big Cypress Grill and Tavern.
- Exercising. Choose among the fitness classes that suit your exercising level in a state-of-the-art Nautilus-equipped fitness center with weight training and cardiovascular equipment.
- Recreation. Sway along with line dancing tunes or try your luck in bingo games.
- Sports. Exchange serves at the tennis courts, throw fishing lines with your friends, or pocket the 8 ball. Indulge in pickleball, bocce ball, shuffle ball, or horseshoe pits.
- Spiritual. Keep your spirituality burning through Bible studies.
This retirement community supports your love for your pet.
While the community has restrictions for aggressive pet breeds, the pet rules strictly implemented are reasonable. There also is a Dog Park for your canine companion to stretch their legs.
Personal necessities like groceries and recreation indulgences are within your grasp.
Taking up residence wouldn’t heavily dent your wallet.
With a purchase price ranging from below to mid-$100k, a single-family home in this community is about 1000 sqft with two beds, two baths, and a garage.
In addition, you have an array of house choices. From home sizes and floor plans to house styles and designs, you’d find one that perfectly resonates with your personality without breaking the bank.
Whether you opt to lease or purchase a home, you wouldn’t go wrong with the quality of its about 1,600 manufactured homes.
They are built in a factory-controlled environment that conforms with HUD Code, consequently addressing unpredictable factors like weather disruptions.
Cost of Living
Comfort and style aren’t synonymous with a high cost of living at Cypress Lakes®. Thanks to its Homeowners’ Association (HOA), residents of the community enjoy the perks of a low-maintenance lifestyle via an annual fee that ensures maintained amenities, home lawns, and community grounds.
The HOA also has a calendar of events like card and book clubs that residents are kept informed of.
The overall cost of living compared to the US average of 100 is 94.8, and it’s broken down as follows:
- Grocery 104
- Health 117
- Housing 77
- Utilities 98
- Transportation 101
Based on the above statistical figures, the cost of living here is marginally less expensive by 5.2% than the US average.
Weather and Climate
February and March are the most desirable months at Cypress Lakes®, while the least comfortable ones are July and August.
To give you an in-depth review of how it’s like retiring at Cypress Lake, we collated some current resident reviews.
- A very clean neighborhood with a strict HOA.
- Very kid-friendly and welcoming to pets.
- Schools are within walking distance.
- A safe and friendly area.
- A recommended community whether to relocate or for a seasonal retreat.
- A paradise with breathtaking views and lovely landscapes.
- A remarkable nature preserve of woods, lakes, ponds, and wildlife.
- A community of caring people.
- Addresses retiree concerns like keeping safe, having access to health care, and avoiding loneliness.
- Wonderful and welcoming housing consultants who help you with every step of your relocation.
- Houses are close together, but neighbors are generally considerate and respectful.
- There are diverse restaurants that cater to your food preferences, including fast-food chains and fine-dining restaurants.
- Lots of activities to indulge in, especially in the form of entertainment.
- A community that will not disappoint because there’s something for everyone.
- With several clubs to join, like the crafts club, sewing group, single women’s club, and painting on fabric.
- Employment opportunity is average across fields like hospitality, retail, and healthcare.
- Some amenities are old but are well taken care of and updated.
- Big grocery stores like Walmart, Save A Lot, and Publix.
- Easy purchase process with the help of a housing consultant even when you’re not physically in Florida.
- An active and thriving community that’s just minutes away from necessities like shopping, dining, and excellent healthcare.
Conclusion: Cypress Lakes® 55+ Community
If you’re a retiree searching for a secure community that balances fun and relaxation while offering you an active lifestyle, Cypress Lakes® in Lakeland, Florida, must be among your top choices.
As one of Florida’s premier active adult communities, Cypress Lakes® surrounds you with comfort and security while ensuring that you get the best experiences during your retirement years.